All ELL academics use Image Dictionaries, and I’ve been pondering currently about completely different methods about how one can use them within the classroom.
I just lately put out a request on social media for concepts.
Listed here are a few of them (please share extra):
This can be a easy sequence I’ve generally been having peer tutors use with my college students:
- Train ten phrases and how one can say them – level to picture, say the phrase, ask group to repeat it
- Check college students verbally – level to picture, ask college students to say what it’s.
- Train college students how one can learn and write the identical ten phrases – peer tutors level to picture, say it, and write it on whiteboard
- Check college students – level to picture, say it, and ask college students to put in writing the phrases on the whiteboards
- Peer tutors can repeat this sequence with some or the entire phrases in the event that they suppose their college students want extra follow.
- Peer tutors write a easy sentence on a whiteboard with one of many phrases, and ask their college students to put in writing a sentence utilizing the identical phrase. They repeat that for every phrase.
- Repeat sequence with subsequent ten phrases.
Web page journey! The OPD has phrases in context (depicted in scenes) so as soon as a phrase is seen and practiced in a single context, learners can scan the pages (or the e-book) for locations the place the phrase exhibits up in a brand new context.
— Jayme AG (@lthrtdlrng) March 16, 2022
Not precisely pics, extra video. Get sts to create their very own.https://t.co/z9dA3nyP9y
— Bee Inexperienced (@BeeBrurigr) March 16, 2022
I typically use the Emotions and Feelings web page to assist college students describe the characters’ emotions in a narrative. Quizlet flashcards are simple to make and an awesome useful resource. https://t.co/EnzhznlSXw
— Aaron Douglas (@aaronkyled) March 16, 2022
Right here’s an on-line interactive Pictionary dictionary.
Teenie Hamester stated:
Children can play “ I spy with my little eye..”
Children can write a narrative in regards to the web page and embody X quantity of vocabulary phrases. Most likely must have a trainer pattern of a distinct web page first as a mannequin.
Emily Murray Wicks:
Write sentences in regards to the footage, add speech bubbles if there are folks, do a “the place’s Waldo” sort recreation the place youngsters give one another clues and so they should guess the image every is describing.
Alycia Hamilton Owen:
Scavenger hunt for___ [nouns, verbs, things that make sound, things that we see outside, etc]; additionally use to review textual content options of an image dictionary with a watch towards publishing a category image dictionary.